Sunday, 27 April 2014

The Concert Coco

My mum thinks this Tilly and the Buttons Coco dress is the best thing I've made so far, and I think she might be right.


It certainly is one of the easiest things I've made, and it's instantly been adopted as my favourite thing to wear at the weekend.  Which is quite an achievement as the only dresses I usually wear are either party dresses or summer dresses. So a casual dress for the other three seasons of the year definitely fills a gap in my wardrobe. And the Coco fills it with something that's so comfortable it's actually like wearing 'secret pyjamas', which is the wonderfully accurate description that Sonja from Ginger Makes gave the Coco in her review.


It was my first time working with a knit fabric and I'm not 100% sure exactly what type this is. But as soon as I saw it in Fabricville I knew that it would be Coco friendly as it was low stretch and high quality- although the price tag of over $20 CAD a metre would have ruled it out had it not been for the accompanying buy one metre get two free promotion.  

It was also my first time using stripes, and although the dress pre-dates Tilly's useful post on cutting and sewing with stripes, I had picked up the general gist from watching the stripe matching challenge on this latest series of the Great British Sewing Bee. When it came to the sleeves I also found Grainline Studio's post on plaid matching helpful, and for a first attempt it seems to all match up ok.


The only bit that didn't quite work for me was that there seemed to be a bit of excess fabric at the lower back. I'm a complete novice at fitting, so I played around with moving the side seams in, but this just seemed to displace the excess rather than remove it. I wasn't too fussed as it's a loose casual style so I just went with it, but if anyone has any tips for fixing this on a knit fabric?

This Coco means I've now scored a Tilly and the Buttons hat trick, as it proudly joins my earlier Miette skirt and Mathilde blouse.  I had wanted to make it in time to attend Tilly's Coco party last month, but after misjudging the amount of TLC my stripe matching would need, it wasn't quite ready.  So me, my Mathilde and my Bombay Sapphire gatecrashed the party and happily (or as gin was involved that should probably read hazily) sewed the night away.

Coco Party over on twitter
As well as meeting up with other sewists at Tilly's party in the virtual world, I've also recently met up with a sewist in the real world.  I first met Wendy from Wendy's World at the last Montreal Sewing bloggers meet-up in the summer (I never blogged about the meet-up but Caroline did a much better write-up than I could have done here).  Wendy has just opened her own hair salon called Sweetchops and I wanted to give a shout out to her and her new business after she recently cut my hair. 

It really is a beautiful, sunny salon and being an avid quilter she's having fun personalising it with her creations.  As if being a salon owner isn't already cool enough, she is even thinking about moving her sewing machine into the salon for when it's quiet. Living the dream or what?! Being able to chat fabric with your hairdresser is quite a dream too (!) so I'd definitely recommend that any Montrealers check out Wendy's salon.  

This would usually be an out-take but it's the only close-up of my new haircut (a bit windy to do it justice though)
Also incase you were wondering why I titled the post 'the Concert Coco' it's because its first outing was to see the pioneering electro-pop German band, Kraftwerk. Not my choice, and not really my cup of tea, but the randomness and retroness of it all kept me entertained, and they were a big influence on my beloved (David) Bowie so I tried to be open minded. The audience all donned 3D glasses to watch the accompanying computer graphics which of course accessorised most excellently with my Coco!  


Excitingly we're now only a few days away from Me-Made-May and I'm looking forward to taking part in So Zo's challenge for the first time.  I don't usually wear my homemade clothes or in fact anything smart to work, so I'm a bit worried my colleagues are going to think I'm having an affair when I suddenly start spicing up my outfits next month! I've pledged to wear three handmade items each week of May and this Coco is a very welcome last minute addition to my Me-Made wardrobe :)

8 comments :

  1. Love your Coco. The fabric is ponte - I purchased the same fabric in BC at Fabricland. Does Fabricville in Quebec = Fabricland in western Canada? Had it earmarked for a different project but now ..... Your Coco may have a twin on the other side of Canada ;) Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, yes I understand Fabricville is the Quebec version of Fabricland. I don't have good French so I'm never really sure what type of fabric I'm buying in there!! So it's really helpful to know it's ponte as I'd definitely look for that again as it was great to work with. It would be amazing to have a Coco cousin the other side of Canada too! Thanks again :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! I love the wide stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wide stripes made the matching a bit easier too I think.

      Delete
  3. fabulous. what a great fit, very flattering and the stripes are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh thanks Suzie! So lovely of you to come and support my new little business. And it's a proper treat for me to be able to chat fabric at work too! You're always welcome! Amazing job on the new dress, I just love that one. I watched the GBSB stripe matching challenge too and thought - phew not for me! Ha. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! You've just reminded me I need to check out the Australian pie shop. I've just found it online and see it has sausage rolls which is v exciting!

      Delete